Facebook released new guidelines yesterday making it easier for business pages to run promotional contests on Facebook. Previously, a third party app was required to run a promotion on Facebook. Facebook business pages that did not follow the guidelines risked having their page eliminated. I witnessed many dentists running that risk, most likely unknowingly, by offering contests without a third party app involved. By eliminating the third party app requirement, Facebook has made it simple for small businesses, like private dental practices, to run promotions on their Facebook page.
Click the link above to get the complete new rules on running a Facebook business page promotion, but here are some of the highlights.
- Facebook business pages can now offer contests without a third party app in which the contestants can win by liking or commenting on a post on that Facebook business page.
- Facebook business pages can offer a chance to win by messaging the Facebook page or posting directly on the Facebook page.
- Facebook contests cannot be offered on a personal timeline, but only on a business page. Furthermore, a contest cannot require a contestant to post anything on their personal timeline. This eliminates “sharing” a post as an option for a contest entry.
- Business pages can still choose to use third party apps to run contests and may choose to based upon some of the services these apps provide.
- Facebook made clear guidelines regarding not tagging someone in a picture they are not in.
- Facebook reminded business pages of their paid Promoted Post option where businesses can pay for their post to be seen by a larger percentage of people who “like” their page.
Is your dental practice on Facebook? Will you take advantage of these new guidelines to run a contest on Facebook?